I’m always on the lookout for good business/freelance/creative/life advice. I’m constantly trying to improve my business and work in the best way possible, and enjoy it all along the way. So far, so good. Here are a few of the best resources I’ve found this week:
- Marie Forleo: I’m seriously excited to dive into Marie’s site more these next few days, it’s brimming with awesome content for any entrepreneur (or wanna be entrepreneur). Amanda Genther shared a link to Marie’s video about creating a schedule when you work from home, and I was hooked. Marie’s videos are smart and fun, and her site is dynamic and beautiful.
- How to Say No Like a Boss on Pitch Design Union: This post is a 5 part guide on “How to Get your Hustle Straight and your Commitments Sorted.” Amen, sista. Well worth the read for freelancers.
- Show Pony Magazine, Issue 2: This is a free online magazine that’s a beautiful inspiration source for anyone that owns their own creative business. There’s practical advice in between the personal interviews too.
- Freelance Matters on Jeremy & Kathleen: The latest post dives into the intricacies of email interactions with clients. I picked up some tips that I’ve started using, especially with how to talk to prospective clients.
- The Busy Trap: I used to be one of those people that would complain to anyone who’d listen about how busy I was. No longer, my friend. Now that I’m in charge of my schedule (and thus, I feel, my life), I’m no longer inclined to work at all hours, and that’s a good thing.Favorite quote: ” The space and quiet that idleness provides is a necessary condition for standing back from life and seeing it whole, for making unexpected connections and waiting for the wild summer lightning strikes of inspiration — it is, paradoxically, necessary to getting any work done.”
- GSD (Get Shit Done) on Mimi+Meg: Profiles of successul creative entrepreneurs and how they GSD! Cute and fun posts.
(Image from Mimi+Meg’s Paperfashion GSD feature)